Total Pageviews

Thursday, November 17, 2011

It is my responsibility.

I am a Puerto Rican and my husband is African American. We have two wonderful children – a 17 year old son and a 6 year old daughter. By definition (with the exception of my daughter), we are obese.

We have all at one time or another been forced to question our health. That moment was at a recent pediatrician appointment. When I heard how much my son weighed and that my daughter had gained some weight, I was upset at what I had done. Maintaining a family’s health ends up, like it or not, being mom’s responsibility. A mother can make or break her family.

For Puerto Ricans and anyone, for that matter, with rich traditional ethnic foods, facing a health crisis can be challenging, confusing, and downright painful. How do I keep our traditional meals while maintaining optimum health?

Through this blog, I will open discussions, add recipes, articles, other websites and blogs that can be useful to those facing my dilemma. Extreme dieting is not the answer but slowly changing your lifestyle should be less shocking and more successful in the long run.

I welcome your suggestions and comments (and delicious meal ideas).

No comments:

Post a Comment